Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Maybe This Time

I once really, really had my feelings hurt by my husband who said (and I paraphrase) "It would be nice if you followed-through on something."  Ouch.  That stung.  But, as the adage says, the truth does hurt. 

I have a giant bin full of half-started, half-hearted art projects.  I don't have a problem starting a book and leaving it for another time after just a few pages.  I plan my weekly meals, do the grocery shopping, and rarely do I actually cook everything from the list.  Instead I get tired of cooking and take the family for McMenniman's instead.  I buy cards for friends, often address the envelope, but never send them.  I "plan" trips for our family that we never take.  Embarrassing, don't you think?

What does this say about me?  What does it say about my priorities?  About my reliability.  Loads.  I am a flake.  I let things slip that I should really take care of.  Its embarrassing and I am working on it, but I am trying not to fixate on what a completely failure I am.  I keep telling myself that what people will remember about me is my kindness and not my not-so-stellar follow-through.  I may be kidding myself, but it really helps keep me from hiding away in my house embarrassed to be seen by someone I may have offended.

I stay at home with my kids and I continue to struggle with the whole idea of an identity outside my children.  I know many moms do. I know I am lucky to be able to stay with these two kiddos in their first few years in this world, but goodness gracious, its lonely! A tidy house, home baked bread, and a sink empty of dishes only provides so much fulfillment, and so I've found myself spending much of my free time browsing other mom-blogs.  I find their openness and honesty refreshing and inspiring, infuriating, gag-inducing.  AND intimidating.  I'm not a writer.  But maybe, just maybe I have something to say.  Maybe I should try to do this on a regular basis.  *gasp* Can she do it, group?  Probably not.  But I may as well give it a whirl.  Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment